Heat Loss Starts at the Foundation
The top 8″ of an uninsulated foundation wall accounts for 45% of your basement’s heat loss. That’s why we recommend using insulation with an R-5 value along the entire foundation from footing to mudsill. We also apply a fiber cement coating to the top 8″ of the insulation because it serves as a protective coating from the elements…and the weed whacker!
Energy-Efficient Walls “Dress in Layers”
In southeastern Wisconsin, wall insulation isn’t a place to cut back. After years of experience, we have developed five essential “tools” for constructing the best wall system:
- 2×6 wall studs at 16” on center. 2×6 construction allows more space for insulation, resulting in a more efficient home.
- R-board sheathing. R-board applied to stud walls with metal wind bracing creates a continuous surface of insulation along the entire exterior. In addition, an R-3.5 insulation rating increases the home’s energy-efficiency.
- Tyvek HomeWrap® over all exterior walls. Tyvek® should be wrapped over the entire house, including gables and the garage. Tyvek® resists bulk water and air penetration while allowing moisture vapor to pass through.
- Extra protection at windows. The DuPont™ Flashing System provides an extra layer of protection. One of the components, Straightflash™ tape, creates a heavy-duty seal to prevent driving rain from penetrating the heads and jambs of windows. FlexWrap™ under window sills and doors prevents moisture from entering the home’s interior.
- Above average insulation. R-21 high-density fiberglass batt insulation installed between wall studs is the premium grade. Combined with the R-3.5 exterior sheathing, our wall systems have a total insulation rating of R-24.5. well above the industry average.
James Craig Builders knows there is a difference between a house and a home. We don’t just want to build a place for you to live; we want to create a custom home you will truly love and enjoy for years to come. To help demonstrate how you will benefit from what makes us different, we’ve created a helpful Home Builder Comparison Checklist and a list of our Standard Practices and Inclusions.